Southern Illinois University - Carbondale met March 9.
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale met March 9.
Here is the minutes as provided by the Council:
The meeting was called to order by Dean Matthew Keefer.
Present: Carl Flowers, Saran Donahoo, Jeanette Johnson, Saliwe Kawewe, Matthew Keefer,
Christie McIntyre, Jodi Miley, Nancy Mundschenk, Cynthia Sims, Juliane Wallace, Keith Waugh,
Absent: Paul Melzer
Guests: Rachel Frazier, Josi Young
Administrative Reports (Cabinet)
The Minutes of March 2, 2017 were presented. The Minutes were approved.
- Keefer reminded the EC about The Big Event on April 1. The registration deadline is March 10.
- Keefer informed the EC of the call for Graduate Saluki Stories Spring 2017. The deadline
to submit is April 10.
- Keefer reported that IBHE has uncommitted federal funds from a final round of Higher
Education grants from No Child Left Behind and that we are working to develop and submit
a proposal for this grant.
- Keefer passed along the information that the new CBA is not yet fully ratified and
recommended that we not issue workload assignments until the new CBA language is in force.
David DiLalla may attend an EC meeting in the near future to provide helpful information about this process.
- Keefer announced there are two Program Prioritization meetings scheduled for the
deans, one this month and one in May.
- Keefer announced that Don Beggs has agreed to be our representative for the Capital Campaign.
Articulation Agreement presentation (Rachel Frazier and Josi Young)
- Frazier reported that a lot of information is outdated. On-line major guides have been
removed if they are not current. * Frazer asked departments to review the articulations,
mark up the changes, and return to her. Their plan is to send them electronically every year for updating.
- Young passed around the program articulation systematic guide and agreement numbers
for the top 10 feeder schools.
Associate Dean’s Report (Cynthia Sims):
- Sims announced she is organizing two pizza socials for junior faculty (March 20, March
27, noon – 2:00 p.m., Wham 219) for the Junior Faculty Development Network. She has
invited some senior faculty to attend and answer questions for them.
- * Sims asked Ph.D. Committee members to send her suggestions for Agenda items. A meeting will be held soon.
Office of Teacher Education Director’s Report (Nancy Mundschenk):
- Mundschenk reported that student teacher candidates must present their Capstone
defense before faculty. The capstone defense is part of the assessment system. They
will be held on Friday, May 5 and Monday, May 8. * She asked C/D to encourage
faculty to sign up on the chart that will be distributed electronically to program
coordinators. Two faculty members should be in attendance at each student teacher capstone.
- Mundschenk reported that the data for the ISBE data pilot has been submitted for the
three undergraduate programs. She indicated this was a good experience and informed
our data collection process. Next year all licensure programs will be included in the
report, including advanced programs.
- Mundschenk announced that the petition to exclude the School of Social Work from our
CAEP accreditation process was approved.
- Mundschenk mentioned that the CAEP site visit will be scheduled during fall 2019. That
is also our projected date for the Higher Learning Commission.
Business Manager (Susan Wills):
- * Wills reminded the EC to complete inventory and submit to Property Control by March 13.
- * Wills will send out spreadsheets for next year’s NTT reappointments next week.
- Wills reminded the EC that new hire contracts will no longer be backdated due to I-9 regulations.
Identity and Impact Mini Conference update:
- * Keefer asked Chairs and Directors to use the template and Venn diagram presented
at an earlier meeting to look at their unit to create a presentation around 8 minutes long
for the April 28 Identity and Impact event at Touch of Nature.
Recruitment and Enrollment – reports on Dept/School/Initiatives:
- Christie McIntyre reported that she and Stacy Thompson attended an Early Childhood Day
event at Southeastern Illinois College where they set up a table, passed out information, and
visited with former and current students.
- The School of Social Work is working with Jodi Miley to send out a prospect MSW email.
- * Keefer asked each unit to report something at the next EC meeting. Administrative Reports Continued
Advisement (Cynthia Sims):
- Sims announced that Katrina James has resigned. In the meantime, the college plans on hiring a temporary, extra-help employee to assist with advisement. Advisors are taking turns attending the Chief Academic Advisor meetings. James’ students will be distributed among the advisers. Sims is also taking on some of the Chief duties.
Graduate Council Report (Saran Donahoo): Report sent via email
Foundation (Paul Melzer): no report
Recruitment and Retention (Jodi Miley):
- Miley reported we do not know yet when the next part of the Communication Plan will
be sent. She found out that the person listed in the letters will be notified and should reach
out to students. * Miley will email each C/D their letter so they can see the final version.
Web specialist (Jeanette Johnson):
- Johnson reported she is working with Paul Melzer on the April report on the college to
the SIU Alumni Foundation Board of Directors.
- She reported that the closed captioning has been completed for all videos shot last
semester and they are posted on websites and social media.
- She is creating the sub-pages for the upcoming Journeys e-newsletter.
- * Johnson will email C/D all of the content on the college website pages and asked them
to review, edit in red, and return to her by March 30.
- Johnson is working on promotional material photographs/videos to advertise The Big
Event (April 1).
Brown Bag Update (Carl Flowers):
- Flowers reported that Sims is scheduled to present on March 22. * Sims will provide
Johnson with a title.
- Flowers is working with Juliane Wallace to talk with faculty about presenting on April 5
and April 19.
The meeting adjourned.
Organizations in this Story
1263 Lincoln Drive
Carbondale, IL - 62901