Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees met November 14
Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees met Nov. 14.
Here is the minutes provided by the board:
Call to order.
Called to order at 4:30 p.m.
Introductions, audience and visitors. Visitors are asked to introduce themselves at this time and present any issues they wish to discuss. Visitors wishing to address specific agenda items will be granted two to five minutes at the discretion of the President, not to exceed a total of twenty minutes. The Library Board may cut short any comments that are irrelevant, repetitious, or disruptive. (Id. at 1425-26).
Barbara Levine, President
Joyce Hayes, Secretary
Susan Tulis, Vice President (2)
Julian Pei, Treasurer (1)
Roland Person (2)
Don Prosser (1)
Harriet Simon (2)
The number following the Trustee’s name indicates the number of absences this fiscal year. One seat is currently vacant.
Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director; Gwen Hall Grosshenrich, Finance Manager
1. Approval of October 10, 2018 minutes. Harriet Simon moved to approve these minutes. Joyce Hayes seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
Correspondence and communications.
1. Approval of bills payable up to and including bills due November 16, 2018 to December 15, 2018. This includes a bill for $23,230 to Litton Enterprises for repair of the outside water line break. Susan Tulis moved to pay bills. Roland Person seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
2. Acceptance of the financial report for October 2018. We have received the PNG grant money, but no property tax revenue. We transferred $100,000 from the reserve fund today in order to pay bills. We will reimburse the fund once enough property tax revenue has been received. We have about $50,000 left in the reserve before we’d need to borrow from the building fund. Harriet Simon moved to accept the financial report. Susan Tulis seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
1. Building and grounds maintenance. Green Ridge landscaping will repair the turf damage from the water line break once the earth settles. The heat in the Brush building is being repaired. Discussed the library’s water line break and the fire on the adjacent property.
2. Per Capita Grant Requirement: Review Chapters 8-9 of the Trustee Fact File. The trustees appreciate the information provided in these chapters. They believe we are following the recommendations listed.
3. Per Capita Grant Requirement: education opportunity focusing on meeting the needs of patrons with challenges or disabilities. The Director will do a presentation on this. The Director shared information about services to patrons who are homeless. Multiple staff members have received training on this subject. The library’s social work interns assist with serving this population.
4. Other. None.
1. Closed Executive Session: The Board is invited to pass a motion to hold a closed meeting if they wish to discuss the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance or dismissal of specific employees (5 ILCS 120/2(c)(1)). At the conclusion of the closed meeting, the Board is requested to pass a motion to return to open session. In the event that any other action is to be taken as a result of the discussions held in the closed meeting, final action will be taken only in open session and will be preceded by a public recital of the nature of the matter being considered and other information that will inform the public of the business being conducted.
Don Prosser made a motion to go into closed executive session. Philip Brown seconded. A roll call vote was taken. All present. 8 ayes. 0 nays. 0 abstentions.
2. Open meeting resumed. Roll call taken. All present. No final action was taken on personnel matters following closed session discussion.
1. Patron conduct. Susan Tulis motioned to continue the ban on the perpetrator of the 11/8/18 incident until and unless further action. Roland Person seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
Adjourned at 5:35pm
Next Board Meetings for 2018: Carbondale Public Library meeting room (all regular meetings are held in the Public Library meeting room, 4:30 p.m., second Wednesday of each month) December 12, 2018